• April 28, 2018 at 8:24 pm #3252
    Paul Wallace
    Participant

I constantly struggle with rhythm of strum patterns. Any one have any tricks that help them?

April 28, 2018 at 9:26 pm #3254
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

A good technique for rhythm is to practice the strum pattern you’re working on by itself. Don’t play any chords with it. Mute your strings with your left hand and focus only on the pattern. Count it out loud while you strum. And move your body to the beat. Sway back and forth. Get your whole body into it.

Some people find it useful to practice strum patterns with a metronome as well. To help them keep their beats evenly spaced.

Hope those tips help!

You never fail until you quit!

May 7, 2018 at 10:53 am #3392
    Cheryl Davidson
    Participant

Hey Paul,

Just curious, as I am a beginner and I have some issues too;  what helped me was to use a metronome app on my cell phone.  I made it really slow (around 60 beats).  I kept short practice sessions, until I could do my strum pattern well.  Then I moved the speed up by 2 beats per minute, and repeated my practice sessions until I felt proficient at it.  It also helped me when I was adding chords and transitions with the strum pattern.

I don’t know if my suggestion will help, but it doesn’t hurt to share and try.  I hope you find your solution!

Cheryl

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Col 3:16

June 5, 2018 at 8:40 pm #3521
    Paul Wallace
    Participant

Thank you both for the helps. I’ve getting back in to the guitar after spending time in Guatemala with Faith in Practice. Please pray for the people of Guatemala in the aftermath of the volcanic eruption from Mt. Fuego. I was actually in Antigua with Fuego providing a backdrop daily.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.