• July 18, 2019 at 6:25 am #4706
    Ruby Rebustillo
    Participant

hi jonathan, I’m so sorry i wasn’t already cannot join to the live class, during to the gap of the time here in japan, the time is already late and its 3pm here  im in the bed and sleeping.but i always watch the replay video.and regarding in my progress.im doing good. and im playing a guitar during at our bible study, all song in library songs is im picking up and study it. mostly it all Driving pattern. almost G chords family.anyway on the level 2 and 3 E family chords and C family chords, mostly i just want to play is a worship songs, if im finish to mark complete the course or level. its already done?. and can  i ask, i was trying to click the song LORD OF LORDS i can play it why? im looking forward to have more skill and to level up . how?? thank you jonathan you are a big help in my guitar study. your ministry is great and more power and God bless you.

July 18, 2019 at 6:58 am #4708
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hello Ruby, I’m so glad to hear you are playing in your Bible Study. That is very exciting!
    I checked the song Lord Of Lords, and there is an error. I removed it, as I don’t actually have a video tutorial for it. I must have planned to do it, but never did. Thanks for letting me know.

If you are done the 3 levels of the course, I would spend a few months learning more songs using the 18 chords and 3 strum patterns. There are hundreds of songs in the library that use just those. You can narrow down the search by selecting “Beginner” near the Difficulty tab, and all of those songs you should be able to play from the material you learn in the course. Learning more songs will get you more familiar and confident with the patterns and rhythm in music, and will help you when you move forward.
    If you are ready to move forward to more material, I would suggest learning the CAGED system. This does require you to learn barre chords, but really opens up the whole neck of the guitar for you, and enables you to play any chord in any key without ever needing a capo. I did a 2 part series on the CAGED system.
    Here is a link to lesson 1 if you are interested.

You never fail until you quit!

January 17, 2020 at 1:07 pm #4997
    Richard Jones
    Participant

Hello Jonathan, I have almost no strumming patience. On the 7 day challenge, what is the beat? I am attempting to set my metronome but I cannot determine beats per minute. Please assist.-Thank you Richard

Hesperia, California, USA

January 17, 2020 at 1:22 pm #4998
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Richard,
    Amazing Grace is 100 BPMs and You Are My Sunshine is 120 BPMs. That’s what I’m playing it at.

If you are practicing by yourself, you can make it less, maybe 60 or 80 BPMs. It may help to do it slower at first. But if you are playing along with me, those are the times I am using. However, I wouldn’t try to put on a metronome and my video at the same time. That will be hard to get it to match perfectly.

If you can post a video of your attempt at strumming, I can better pinpoint exactly what is the issue. You can post one in the FB group or upload one to my email.

February 5, 2020 at 5:20 pm #5012
    Richard Carter
    Participant

Hello Jonathan; I’m having some trouble with the strumming patterns. I’ve been playing along with you, which is fun but challenging. Is it possible to get the strumming with chord changes, without the singing, to focus on that, then move into the singing with strumming? Right now I feel like there is too much going on to focus on one thing. I should mention, I am working on, “Blessed Be Your Name”.

February 6, 2020 at 12:44 pm #5017
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Ric, I don’t have a recording without the vocals. But during your practice, you can focus on following what I’m playing, and not trying to sing as well. Not sure if that will help. You can also watch it first, then pause it and try to repeat just the strumming and chord transitions.
    If you haven’t done so yet, definitely go and watch the video on “Learn How To Practice” in the 7 Day Song Challenge section. That will give you some good tips on segmenting your practice into pieces so you can be more effective. https://simplifiedguitar.com/seven-day-song-challenge/

April 3, 2020 at 11:33 am #5156
    Steve Sakarapanee
    Participant

Jonathan,

What’s the strumming pattern for Lord I Need You?

Thanks,

Steve

@thpmotor1

April 6, 2020 at 5:11 pm #5175
    Thomas Biesiada
    Participant

Thanks for including the  7-day link for Ric. That was a big help! It also helps to turn the volume down when I practice with you in recordings. I agree, to start there is a lot going on to keep track of during those recordings

I’m pleased with my practice progress but it’s all theory. Ouch! I have so many different (I won’t say bad) habits to break from the old days when I  play the song (Blessed be His Name) with you on the recordings.

I was never taught the “sweet spot”. My fingers are not happy with this adjustment. Blunted and twang strings are even more numerous than before. The other thing I run into is that my fingers jump to old (two finger EM) and three finger C, G, and D just by seeing the chord written on the song sheet. Talk about old time muscle memory! Awhhhhhhh. It’s like my fingers have a mind of their own. : >O

April 6, 2020 at 11:19 pm #5176
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Steve, for “Lord I Need You”, you can use the driving pattern for strumming, as it is a 4/4 time song.

Hey Tom, just keep moving forward. It’ll all come together with time. Best of luck!!

April 9, 2020 at 8:51 am #5195
    Allen Dobbs
    Participant

I am returning to the beginning classes after a year long guitar playing hiatus. One issue I am trying to work on is having some consistency to strumming in terms of pressure, loudness and even pressure across all of the played strings. As I try to speed up, I invariably hit the strings inconsistently, sometimes with more bass, others with high strings. I noticed your strumming technique and saw that you limit the range of your strokes and wonder if this contributes to consistent strumming sound. Your thoughts on how I can improve? I plan to start at slower pace and work up but any other advice would be most helpful.

Allen Dobbs

April 11, 2020 at 1:54 am #5203
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Allen, I went over your question in this week’s live class. You can check out the replay in the live class thread here in the forums.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.