• January 31, 2019 at 1:25 pm #4361
    Roger Moore
    Participant

I just bought a guitar a couple of weeks ago and started playing some chords. My question is how long does it take to get your fingers toughed up? I can only play for 15 minutes max before my fingers get sore.

Mackinaw City, Michigan, I am 74 years old and Just started. I am interested in playing worship songs just for fun.

January 31, 2019 at 9:12 pm #4368
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Roger, don’t let it discourage you, this is normal. Depending on how much you practice, you’ll start seeing improvements to how long you can stand playing in 2 to 4 weeks.

But also remember, when you’re fingers can’t take the strain anymore, you can still do the muscle memory practice and the strum pattern practice, to get some more time in and continue making progress. For a detailed explanation on these practices, check out the “Learn How To Practice” video on the 7 Day Song Challenge page.

Here’s a direct link.

Hope it helps!

–Jonathan

You never fail until you quit!

February 11, 2019 at 3:53 pm #4394
    Len Smith
    Participant

Also, I think a lot of us beginners press down harder on the strings than necessary with the fingers of the left hand.

Try to see exactly how hard you need to press for a clean sound from each string and then try to never press harder than that.  Make sure you’re placing each finger just above the fret but not too far above.

I know, it’s just one more thing we have to focus on all at the same time.  But it’ll soon get to be habit like the muscle memory with the chord shapes themselves and strumming and fingerpicking and all the rest.

🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Len Smith. Reason: 'cause I always hit the send button first and then read the damn thing second
    December 26, 2019 at 9:33 pm #4944
    Paul Piper
    Participant

This came as a revelation to me that I did not have to be pressing down as hard as I had been on the strings about a week or so ago. I was practicing and I was going through some chords and tried playing a G chord with lighter pressure on the strings. It sounded fine. I think thats why it’s important to practice and work on the technique with finding the sweet spot of the fret and everything.

December 27, 2019 at 10:04 am #4947
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

That’s right. I’m glad you had that revelation. That will help you a lot with being able to practice longer.

October 22, 2021 at 1:35 pm #6203
    Louise Decoteau
    Participant

I had my guitar Set Up by the local music shop. They put new strings on it and lowered the bridge.  Lowering the bridge made  a ton of difference as the strings are  closer to the neck and I don’t need to press as hard.

October 23, 2021 at 9:14 pm #6329
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Nice Louis. That was a great thing to do. I recommend everyone do that at the beginning. It can make a big difference for playability.

December 11, 2021 at 9:25 pm #6454
    Jody Meyer
    Participant

My fingers are sore too… especially #3 and #4. However, they are getting less sore with each passing day as I practice. I am slowly noticing improvement. Yay! Little by little… finger by finger… strum by strum.

I am enjoying the journey.  Have a blessed day!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.