• April 26, 2020 at 12:34 pm #5224
    Michael Stevens
    Participant

I have wanted to do this since my early 30’s while in the Navy, stationed in Pensacola, Fl.  Started learning guitar with a classically trained guitarist, Frank Miller, who assured me that if I continued with him, I would eventually be able to do what I wanted to do back then, Praise and Worship the Lord with guitar.  It didn’t seem like it would ever come about, so I gave up that dream and quit when I found a Christian,  Jean Welles who has and had a Beginner 4 book course on Praise and Worship with guitar.(Back then)  I didn’t understand it but she teaches using the Classical Guitar -like how you hold the guitar as well as teaching methodology to teach exactly (almost) what I wanted, (contemporary) Christian Praise and Worship with guitar. Life, deployment with the Navy happened and I eventually gave that up too.  Now that I’m 69, needing a hobby to get away from less productive activities like watching entirely to much TV. I’ve repurchased Jean Welles program and am quite stuck on lesson 5 of the first book, she recommends a live teacher, but that could make this hobby quite unaffordable, so now I’ll continue with her course the best I can, and have found your program Jonathan and since you really break down the practice methodology, figured I’d incorporate your program into this hobby. So far, I have failed the 7 day challenge in that I work 12 hour shifts at the level 1 Trauma Center in Orlando,FL  and when I get done with that, focusing and concentrating on guitar seems impossible.  So, with the Lord’s help, I’ll get as far as I can on my time off  as soon as I get as serious as I can get about  really giving it all I got!  God Bless,

Mike Stevens

April 26, 2020 at 12:47 pm #5226
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Michael! Great to hear you are picking the guitar back up.

You can go at your own pace. As long as you don’t give up, you are moving forward.

Best of luck to you!

You never fail until you quit!

November 3, 2021 at 5:45 pm #6340
    Lindsay Psolka
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your story and progress, Michael! Responsibilities can make it hard to find time to practice. I encourage you with even five minutes of practice can make a difference! I am learning to make time for practice and advancing myself too.  I am glad you found this course!

March 5, 2022 at 11:30 am #6573
    Russell Brown
    Participant

My Name Russell, I to like so many of these students trying to play the guitar have failed when I could not grasp the technics, I just became frustrated each time and put the guitar down until I had the urge to pick it up again. I am 81 now, and I truly want to put my effort in now. And I believe with Jonathan’s methods I can accomplish my desire to play the guitar, if I stick to the purpose and goals I have set.

March 6, 2022 at 4:29 am #6576
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

That’s awesome, Russell! I’m so glad you didn’t give up and never play. This is your time. You can do it! Keep us posted with your progress.

March 6, 2022 at 4:29 am #6577
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

That’s awesome, Russell! I’m so glad you didn’t give up and never play. This is your time. You can do it! Keep us posted with your progress.

June 13, 2022 at 11:35 am #6653
    Gail Peachey
    Participant

Mike, proud of you for not giving up your dream to Praise and Play!   We can do this!

July 18, 2022 at 7:13 am #6672
    Dane Starkey
    Participant

Keep at it Michael.  Love it that you are open and honest about making music for a higher purpose.  Very, very cool!

Enjoy the process, my friend!

Columbia City, Indiana (USA)
    "Be the man you want your daughter to marry"

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.