• April 12, 2018 at 8:12 am #3040
    Lyn Marchluk
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m 67 years old, live outside Chicago, and have been trying to learn guitar for about 6 years (on and off).  My first instructor tried to teach me theory, when all I wanted to do was learn to play some basic chords and songs. Put me off things for a bit, but now I’m back and trying different avenues of training to see what works best.  Jonathan, I like your simplified versions of songs, and strum patterns.  Now I just need to work at transitions with my old fingers. 🙂

April 12, 2018 at 1:51 pm #3077
    Cheryl Davidson
    Participant

Lyn,

I disagree with you…..you are 67 years young!  I respect that you are still going for what you wish to do, and I hope you can meet your goals.  Best to you!

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Col 3:16

April 12, 2018 at 9:01 pm #3093
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Lyn, thanks for sharing a bit of your story!
    I completely understand getting put off by music theory and the more complicated areas of guitar. To be honest, I still don’t know that stuff. I’ve never taken any classes. I just love music, and love playing it, and that love has been my drive and teacher.

I’m glad you found your way here, and I hope you do make some great progress. Please let us know if you run into any roadblocks and are having trouble.

Take care!!

You never fail until you quit!

June 22, 2018 at 6:03 am #3552
    Brad Horne
    Participant

Hey lyn

That theory stuff sure does your head in, i have found that you hear try to learn a bit, move on play songs, comeback to it, hear some more and gradually over time it makes more sense and starts to fall a litte bit into place . I guess music knowledge is endless so we shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves, just keep  chipping away

Brad

Maitland NSW Australia formerly from Perth Western Australia

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.