• May 27, 2019 at 7:19 am #4615
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

This live class will be on Thursday, May 30th 2019 at 12pm central time.

Click here to join in when it starts.

This is a Q&A session, so our topic will be determined by student questions throughout the week and during the class itself.

If you have any questions you’d like me to cover during this class, just let me know.

You never fail until you quit!

May 30, 2019 at 6:06 am #4616
    Ruby Rebustillo
    Participant

a blesssed day, my question is how to use the cheat sheet, of changing keys.like I’m practicing 10,000 Reason i try to put capo on the 3rd fret but the sound is different,i don’t know if its gonna be the natural sound,and from this day forward if i will try the song library, the key is not fit to my voice, what is the normal key by female version, if the key is for male V. Capo on fret#??  thank you jonathan i will stay awake to join live class today.to learn and hear answer, thank you.

May 30, 2019 at 12:30 pm #4617
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Here’s this live class replay:

May 30, 2019 at 12:41 pm #4618
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Ruby, thanks for your question. I didn’t get it until after the live class, so I can try to discuss your question next week. But to give you a quick answer, there is no one particular key for men or women. Depending on the song, I will often feel more comfortable singing in a variety of different keys. Because the melody of songs could vary from a high register on the scale to a low register, so that makes it hard to have just one comfortable key.

If you use a capo, the sound will be different, because you are changing keys, even if you play the same chord shape. For the song 10,000 reasons, if you are playing it like me, in the key of G, and you put your capo on the 3rd fret, you are now in the key of Bb. You have increased the pitch by 3 steps. It will be higher to sing.

The best thing for you to do is to try and sing the song you want to learn. If it is too low for your voice, then add the capo one fret at a time, until you find the pitch that fits your voice best. If it is too high for you to sing, then you need to transpose the song into a lower chord family that you can play on guitar (for instance, from the key of G to the key of E). If E is now too low for you to sing, then add the capo one fret at a time, until you find the pitch that fits your voice best.

I go over this process in my video HERE. Move the time slider to 4:36. That’s where I begin talking about the capo and transposing. Hope it helps!

May 30, 2019 at 1:53 pm #4619
    Peg
    Participant

Hey, Jonathan,

Nice lesson! Going to try this one; I’ve heard this song on coffeehouse am radio ?

East Coast, USA

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.