• April 30, 2018 at 9:38 am #3256
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Everyone! Our live class this week will be Tuesday, May 1st, 2018 @ 12 noon CST.

Click here to join in when it starts.

I’ll be discussing chord construction. We dived into a little bit of that last week, with 7th chords. But this week, I’ll go deeper into how chords are put together. And of course, I’ll be taking your questions as well. Hope to see you there!

You never fail until you quit!

May 1, 2018 at 2:27 pm #3259
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Here’s the replay to this week’s live class:

May 4, 2018 at 8:55 pm #3378
    Paul Wallace
    Participant

This is great, thanks for covering this Jonathan! Also thanks for always recording the sessions for those of use who cannot attend.

May 5, 2018 at 9:22 pm #3379
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Paul! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

November 21, 2018 at 10:48 am #4256
    Beth Hess
    Participant

Thanks for this.  You mentioned “over” chords, like a bridge C over B.   I’m not sure how to determine the tabs for these or where could I go to find or confirm the tab for these types of chords.  TX

November 26, 2018 at 6:30 am #4260
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Beth, that’s a good question.

When you see an “over” chord, the root of the chord changes to the “over” note. And the lowest note we play (thickest string) of a chord on the guitar is going to be the root note.

So in the case of a C chord, you aren’t playing the low E string. You start strumming on the A string. That is the lowest (deepest) note you are playing. And you have your 3rd finger on the 3rd fret, which is a C note. That is the root. So that note needs to change into the B note to create a C/B chord. So all we need to do in this case is shift that note down a fret to create a B note.

This same principle applies to any “over” chord. Typically, the deepest, lowest string (which will be your root note) needs to be adjusted into the over note.

When in doubt, ask google, and you’ll find the diagram for it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.