• April 10, 2018 at 6:14 am #2948
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hello everyone! I’ll start out the intros with my own.

• Your name and where you’re from.

I am Jonathan Reaux (of course) and I was born and raised in southwest Louisiana on a crawfish farm! No, seriously.

Here’s a picture of me and my family (My wife Megan, and my kids Lyla, Jed, and Gabriel)

Your experience with the guitar. 

I started playing the guitar at about age 10, and gave up very quickly. I picked up again at about age 13, and what motivated me to stick with it at that point was getting involved at my local church, and playing with others. I had the constant motivator of playing with others on stage every week that kept me practicing and wanting to improve. I eventually became the worship leader at that church, which I still am, now almost 20 years later! I am privileged to play the guitar (and other instruments) along with some of my best friends every week, and it’s one of the greatest joys of my life.

Your greatest struggles with the guitar. 

You never fully arrive. So yes, even after almost 20 years of playing multiple times a week, I still have things I struggle with. My fingers still get soar after playing for an hour straight. I struggle with fully comprehending the fretboard, and where notes are (in terms of scales). This is a limiter to what I can play and the amount of freedom I have to move around on the fretboard.

Your goal.

I’ve been playing the same way for all of this time, and though that has made me very proficient at what I do know, it has also limited my knowledge of the guitar to just that. As time moves forward, I would like to explore new chords and even dabble into scales and fingerstyle (classical) guitar. I think that would be fun.

So there you are! Now, I’m looking forward to hearing about you guys and gals!

You never fail until you quit!

June 22, 2018 at 6:25 am #3556
    Brad Horne
    Participant

Hi Jonathan

What are you going to do to achieve your goals ?

Brad

Maitland NSW Australia formerly from Perth Western Australia

July 23, 2018 at 12:51 pm #3874
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Brad, thanks for asking.

I’ve been playing around with learning the G scale.

Also, learning some new advanced songs that use chords I’ve never used before, like Frank Sinatra “The Way You Look Tonight”, and Randy Newman’s “You’ve Got A Friend In Me”, using the F#dim7 chord and some other funky sounding chords. I never thought those chords would ever be useful, but when put in the right context, they sound quite nice. It’s been fun learning them within the context of a beautiful song. I always enjoy learning with a song the most.

You never fail until you quit!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.