• May 17, 2018 at 6:49 pm #3449
    Rich Mathers
    Participant

Hi everyone,

My name is Rich Mathers and I live in NJ. I will soon be 57 and  live by the Jersey shore, so summer time is a busy time for me. I have been playing guitar off and on for a few years and seem to get frustrated when I get in a groove, attempt to get to the next level and then I stop. I started out with private lessons and it didn’t work out. It seemed like my instructor got bored with me sometimes when I didn’t learn a song within a week, we all are busy and I felt if I didn’t practice 2 hours a night which is hard in the real world, then my lessons became more stressful than fun, that’s when i left the private lessons.

I have been doing Jonathan’s lessons for a while and have enjoyed them at my own pace, it’s fun to meet people here in the group and see their progress (Ann Hepner you are amazing). I am excited to get back on track and will start from the beginning just to catch up, I will mention a few stumbling blocks that I need to work through. I have too many people ask me to play and I kind of shy off, so it’s time to get back playing

Here are/were some of my stumbling blocks that I wanted to pass onto you. These may be forum questions but for starters, I’ll just mention them here and then explore the forums and add this into them.

Strumming patterns, chord selection (C vs Cadd9) etc

Well I’m back and look forward to hear and share with everyone!

May 17, 2018 at 8:26 pm #3454
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Rich, so glad to have you back in the swing of things.

Is there anything in particular about strumming that you’re still struggling with? If you can make it to the next live class that would be great, so you can explain visually. We do them now every week, and I announce on Monday the day and time.

For the C and Cadd9 selection, Cadd9 will be really only used when you’re playing a song in the key of G. It’s meant to partner well with the G chord, and really only works in association with the G chord. The traditional C will be used in most other cases.

You never fail until you quit!

May 22, 2018 at 7:44 am #3464
    Cheryl Davidson
    Participant

Hello Mr. Mathers,

I am glad you are back practicing.   I admit I have days when I had so many tasks, I could not even get near my guitar.  I recently had family visiting for an extended stay, and I just couldn’t stop to practice because of all of the hostess demands on me.   I did miss “me and my guitar” time.

I am not sure your previous teacher really was “teaching” you.   Instead of getting frustrated with you, I think your teacher should have asked questions and adjusted the plans.   Perhaps this other teacher focuses on people who want to be on a stage every night?

My point is, when I get pushed too fast, or focus too hard, I forget to have fun.  When I stop having fun, I get frustrated and sometimes mad.  That is when I stop learning.

I am glad you made the switch from your previous teacher, and I truly hope you have fun while you learn here.

Keep on strummin’

Cheryl

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Col 3:16

June 11, 2018 at 8:04 pm #3535
    Kristy Verver
    Participant

Hello. I’m very new here but I just wanted to say that you can do it! Keep trying and don’t give up!

Kristy

June 21, 2018 at 10:00 pm #3548
    Brad Horne
    Participant

Hi Rich

new here just saying hi,

I think we all can relate to bad private lesson experiences, you just have to keep looking to you find the right one! when you do, it really changes things. I remember many times stressing the lesson because life got in the way of 100% commitment to practice time. I now have a great accommodating teacher who is available text email etc outside of lesson time its fantastic, id say don’t give up looking for mr/mrs right guitar teacher but don’t stay with one you don;t like either!

meanwhile you can’t go wrong with Johnathan’s site 🙂

Brad

Maitland NSW Australia formerly from Perth Western Australia

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.