• May 18, 2020 at 11:46 am #5275
    Arn
    Participant

Been trying to learn guitar without formal training due to a lack of time to go in person, for a very long time. Trying this with Jonathan since i found his “Country Roads” with chord variations the best out on Youtube.

My challenges – So i can now play “Country Roads” at a basic level but i can’t sing and play at same time. How do i get past this hurdle. Do i even need to sing to play this song? Any suggestions , words of wisdom appreciated!

Arn

May 18, 2020 at 11:59 am #5277
    Ann Hepner
    Participant

Welcome Arn! So glad you found this group. My suggestion would be that you watch Jonathan’s Country Roads video (along with the chord chart)and sing along with him without playing. Then play along with him without singing. Perhaps using the slower version will help you combine the two. It’s a lot to do at one time but I have no doubt you can do it. My best advice is to keep practicing and it will eventually all come together.
    I’ll be looking forward to hearing how you are doing. All the best to you.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Ann Hepner.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Ann Hepner.
    May 18, 2020 at 12:22 pm #5280
    Arn
    Participant

Those are some good tips. I will try the slower version to see if i can find a harmony in play/sing.

Will let you know of progress. Thank you Ann.

May 18, 2020 at 1:07 pm #5282
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hello Arn, I’d recommend watching a past live class I did on this topic. Check it out below:

You never fail until you quit!

August 17, 2020 at 9:30 am #5411
    Arn
    Participant

I would like to provide an update that finally after having my guitar i purchased 10 years ago is finally getting some playtime regularly! Thanks to this course and the tag line ‘You never fail until you quit’ i am happy to say that i can now finally sing/play the songs i have been wanting to as a teenager!

Thank you Ann & Jonathan for the support and responses 3 months back.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.