• November 9, 2022 at 3:42 pm #6811
    Ebert Terblanche
    Participant

Hi all,

My name is Ebert Terblanche. I reside in Sydney, Australia with my wife and four young kids aged 10 to 2. We are originally from South Africa but have been calling Australia home for the last 12 years.

I have been trying to learn the guitar on and off for about a year (trying different online courses) and I am hoping that I will be able to make it stick this time. I’ve been using Simplified Guitar for a few weeks after not practicing for a while. I really like the big-picture approach of this course and hope to be playing some songs soon.

My main struggle is in bringing the various components together into playing a song. It is as if my brain can’t multi-function (not just in playing guitar). I struggle keeping the rhythm with my strumming hand, while changing the chords, and counting the number of times I need to repeat a strumming pattern before I need to change the chord again. I don’t even try to bring the song words into it. I can do each separate action fine by itself but bringing it together seems impossible.

My goal is to be able to play the guitar during our home worship sessions with my family to make our singing a bit more fund and I would like to be able to do this from January 2023 on.

Sydney (Australia)

November 10, 2022 at 12:06 am #6830
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hello Ebert! Welcome to the SG family! Glad to have you on board.

You’ve explained some common problems that are very typical. You can overcome them. Looks like you have a great plan moving forward and good goals in place. Keep practicing and following the course guides, and keep us posted with your progress!

You never fail until you quit!

November 11, 2022 at 4:38 am #6838
    Ebert Terblanche
    Participant

Thanks Jonathan, I am on day 2 of the 7 day challenge.

Sydney (Australia)

November 11, 2022 at 6:40 am #6843
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

awesome Ebert! Keep it up!

You never fail until you quit!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags