• December 19, 2018 at 1:48 pm #4306
    Tom Marques
    Participant

I’m getting haunted by a long time problem.  I’m forming my chord shapes one or 2 fingers at a time on the fretboard.  The more I practice the more I reinforce the problem.  I’d like to place all, or most, fingers on the fretboard together at the same time.  Some chords I’ll never get formed in time until I improve on this.  For example when I form a C maj chord I place ring finger, middle finger, index finger in that order, separately but quickly.  But not quite quick enough.  Will forming the chord and moving all fingers off the fretboard an inch or 2 and practice placing them back simultaneously help?  Any suggestions?  Thanks

December 19, 2018 at 2:38 pm #4307
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Tom. Don’t worry, this is a common hurdle, and you’ll improve with time.

The best practice to improve this in my opinion is the launching point practice. But take one chord at a time. So if it’s C you are working on, practice going from C to another chord and then back to C again. It doesn’t matter what chord you are going to, but typically, the more different the chord is the better. So going from C to F/C is not that different of a chord, and it won’t improve your transition ability as quickly. So instead, go from C to Bsus or C to G (from the G chord family) or something very different. Even if it doesn’t sound like a great transition, it’s a huge change for your fingers, which is good practice.
    You can practice this while doing a single strum through to make sure your chord sounds right, and you can practice without strumming, and without pressing down, just to focus on the placement of your fingers. This will allow you to get more practice time in, even when your fingers are sore.

Hope it helps you Tom!

–Jonathan

You never fail until you quit!

December 20, 2018 at 12:04 pm #4308
    Tom Marques
    Participant

I’m practicing the chord changes as you suggest and I know it’s a matter of time and repetition till I pick up the speed I’m looking for.  I introduced a metronome app so I can keep the changes smooth and track my progress.  I definitely feel it will all come together.  Usually improvement for me is gradual and hard to notice it’s even taking place.  As I speed up the metronome I’ll see the advances I’m making.

December 20, 2018 at 12:39 pm #4311
    Cheryl Davidson
    Participant

That sounds like a great plan guys.  I think I will try this as well!

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Col 3:16

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.