• May 16, 2018 at 9:09 am #3442
    Cheryl Davidson
    Participant

Hello Jonathan,

Just curious, as I have noticed I have to keep my eyes on two places at once while I am in this next phase:  When I change chords, I keep failing to keep my base note “pick” on the correct string for the folk pattern, then I have to keep checking my fingers for the correct chord position.  I almost feel like I am working my neck harder than my fingers!

I think I need to help myself get better hand positions.  When I thought about other skills I have worked on:  I had to do similar hand position/grip practice to learn to type on a keyboard, to play golf, to play softball, and to shoot my bow…..

For example, to shoot my bow: (I am right handed) The left hand must hold the force of the draw, while balancing the vertical level, but not too tight, or you will pull the arrow out of a straight shot; while the right hand grips the string to pull it, where you draw until your base thumb joint gently meets the edge of the base of your chin, you line up your shot through the peep sight, and gently release the shot……  Sounds easy until you try, and your arrows go around the target.  Essentially, I had to get good form or I couldn’t shoot.

I think I need the same thing here….I feel I can’t perfect a good folk pattern strum with a chord change without hand/arm rest positions that help me find the right string to start on.  Would you have a suggestion on good form or position for my hands?  Advice please?

Cheryl

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Col 3:16

May 17, 2018 at 7:34 am #3444
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Cheryl, that’s a great question, and it is a common problem to miss that first note on the 1st beat of each measure. In general, it’s a good rule of thumb to keep your strumming hand relatively still, and just move the wrist and fingers to make your strumming and plucking. This allows you to memorize what angle of the wrist will allow you to pluck which string. If your whole arm is moving, your wrist angle will be relative to the angle of your arm, and it becomes more difficult to know where you are.

This is something I can tackle in next week’s live class as well, so you can get a visual.

You never fail until you quit!

May 17, 2018 at 1:38 pm #3446
    Cheryl Davidson
    Participant

Hey Jonathan,

I think I may try playing in front of a mirror to try and “see” what I am doing.  If that doesn’t work, I may try recording myself with a camera.  With what you are describing, I may not know how to fix my problem if I can’t “see” what I am doing when I mess up.

Until class-time,

Cheryl

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Col 3:16

May 22, 2018 at 10:31 am #3468
    Cheryl Davidson
    Participant

Update:  I have a small list of things I have noticed:

1. My posture affects the guitar position.  (not sure how drastic this can affect play)
    2. My posture is affected by the type of chair I sit in when playing.
    3. My right forearm rests on the guitar body, and my arm pivots on that point.
    4. When strumming:  My hand/wrist do not pivot in a consistent arc pattern like yours does in the practice videos.
    5. When I change chords (For example: E to Bsus), I do not move my thumb enough, so I end up with poor pressure on the strings (string buzz).

Self assignment:

1. Slow down, and stop pushing myself too hard/fast.
    2. Have good posture, and hold my guitar comfortably.
    3. Break practice down to a single activity.
      1. Chords only: Practice hand position of fingers and thumb
      2. Strumming only:  Try for more consistent movement.  (hopefully a consistent arm movement will help me find right string to pick for that Folk pattern)

Please let me know if I am on the right path to fixing my issues.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.