• December 10, 2021 at 1:00 pm #6452
    Susan Johnston
    Participant

A very long time ago, I played classical guitar (not well and not for long) and have the training/habit of keeping my left thumb in the middle of the back of the neck. As I work, now, with a stiffer steel-string, on the E family chords, I’m not clear on what to do with my left thumb. I’m starting to feel pain in the lowest joint and wonder if I am pressing too hard, in the wrong position, whatever. Don’t want to build a bad habit and wind up injured.
    Is there a good photograph or article that can help me out. So far the lessons have been clear on finger tips, but not on the thumb. At least, not for me. A site search doesn’t turn up anything.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

Picking, plucking and strumming in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." Bob Marley

December 11, 2021 at 12:50 am #6453
    John
    Participant

Hi Susan,

For me, the chord dictates where my thumb goes and it has taken time and patience to get comfortable. What I chose to do is emulate Jonathan’s thumb positions and mute fingers in his Song Library and after time that worked well for. For example, if you pause on any of his songs you can see the thumb position for various chords. I’ve also done the same with strumming. Mute the entire guitar with my left hand during any song and emulate his strumming only taking the chords out of the equation. This would be part of my warmup routine. Keep in mind I’m a beginner too and no expert! Hope that helps and best wishes!

John
    Washington State (USA)

December 11, 2021 at 10:55 pm #6455
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hi Susan, for the most part, my thumb is not placed on the back of the neck. But rather, my thumb is loose, and sometimes used to mute the low E string by just touching it slightly. So in general, the neck of the guitar is in the crook of my hand. But, in the E chord family, when I’m playing the Bsus4 and C#m7, I place my thumb against the back of the neck, because it allows me to get the bottom edge of my pinky away from the neck of the guitar, so I don’t accidently mute the high e string. I can arch my fingers better that way for those chords.
    Hope that helps.

You never fail until you quit!

December 12, 2021 at 12:43 pm #6456
    Susan Johnston
    Participant

Thanks so much, John and Jonathan. It seems the best thing to do is slow down and take time find the spot for the thumb that works best for what I’m trying to do.
    I suspect some of my problem is hand strength, which should improve with time and practice.
    Cheers – Susan

Picking, plucking and strumming in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." Bob Marley

December 12, 2021 at 11:54 pm #6457
    John
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions on Bsus4, C#m7 and loose thumb tip! Great to know. Do you have a similar tip for the Dm7 with the thumb? I feel like I’m getting closer, but not consistently there yet.

Have a great night!

–John

John
    Washington State (USA)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.