• August 6, 2018 at 12:36 pm #3943
    Doug Baltes
    Participant

I am working on the Seven Day Challenge – the key is just a little high for my voice – what fret should I use to get this a half-step or so lower? I believe it is in the key of G – so I guess the key of F might work…..almost ready to record my progress….thank you!

August 6, 2018 at 1:04 pm #3944
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Doug, if playing Amazing Grace in G is too high for you, you have a couple of options.

1. Tune your guitar down a half step or whole step.
    Because you are playing the G without a capo on, the only way to get a lower pitch with changing the chords entirely is to down tune your guitar. A half step would be Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, and Eb, starting with your thickest string.
    If that is still too high, you can go a full step down, which would be D, G, C, F, B, D, starting with your thickest string.
    It would be hard to tune any lower than that, because your strings will be too loose and they will not stay in tune very well.

2. If you still need to go lower, you have the option to transpose the song into another key, which in this case, E would be your best option. G would become E, Cadd9 would become A2, and D/F# would become Bsus. If you’ve already been practicing the song in G, I would try to make it work by downtuning, so you don’t have to start over with new chords. But that is up to you!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

You never fail until you quit!

August 6, 2018 at 4:45 pm #3947
    Doug Baltes
    Participant

Awesome! I did not think of “down” tuning will give it a try! Thank you.

August 7, 2018 at 1:11 pm #3948
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Doug. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress!

You never fail until you quit!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.