• May 4, 2020 at 8:56 pm #5243
    Tucker Baker
    Participant

I’m having troubles with my strumming patterns and I’m not sure how to figure it out without being shown in person :-}

May 14, 2020 at 1:27 am #5261
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Tucker, what strum pattern are you having trouble with? Is it the driving pattern? First off, make sure you watch the “how to practice” video in the 7 day song Challenge section. That will give you some great tips on practicing successfully, and on breaking down your practice so you can focus on a problem area, in your case, the strumming.

If you want, you can send a recording of yourself attempting the strum pattern to my email so I can give you more detailed feedback.

You never fail until you quit!

July 29, 2020 at 1:20 pm #5374
    Perrin Perez
    Participant

I was wondering while playing the folk pattern on songs that are 150 bpm or higher is it ok to not pluck the first string of every cord change?

seems as if i have a really tough time holding steady tempo. I appreciate the weekly classes and the effort you put forth thank you.

August 10, 2020 at 8:38 pm #5400
    Kristy Verver
    Participant

Anyway to provide a link to the sway pattern?

Kristy

August 11, 2020 at 7:13 am #5401
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Perrin, I’d say the most important is to hit that root note on the 1st beat of the 1st measure you switch to a new chord. After that, if you accidently hit more strings on that 1st beat it’s ok, because you’ve established you’ve switched notes.

August 11, 2020 at 7:16 am #5402
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Kristy, I don’t have a particular lesson on the sway pattern. But it’s just like the swing pattern (3 beats per measure), except you strum full and hard on beat 1, that’s where your emphasis will be. Then softer on beats 2 and 3. And add an upstrum after beat 2 and 3.
    If you watch my song tutorial on the song “I Still Believe” I explain the Sway pattern at the end of the lesson:
    https://simplifiedguitar.com/i-still-believe/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.