• April 6, 2020 at 12:02 pm #5160
    Thomas Biesiada
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I was in USN in early 70’s. I wrote philosophical songs while at sea. It kept me sane. Then I was more interested in searching my soul with the right chord vibration than learning fundamentals of writing lyrics OR playing guitar.

Lost books of poetry, drawings, cassette recordings and journals (all at once) prompted me to change my course of thought. (Everything happens for a reason!) That worked! I grew in a new direction which served me well. I matured, got educated, raised a family, completed two careers and retired. Now I’m ready to learn fundamentals of writing songs and playing guitar. After forty years of not touching this instrument, I’ve returned to satisfy a long awaited hunger to be taught the science behind mastering all of the possible sounds from  these six strings.

In short, I’m ready to learn! Give me all you’ve got Jonathan because even before the quarantine I had plenty of open time to practice and study.

So far my biggest struggle is finger stretch to lift off of other strings and fret bars. I never had that problem before. My basic chords were always clear in sound. Maybe I abused my finger too much as a landscape contractor or was it the intense keyboard typing required as a computer scientist? Who knows? I know from life experience that repetitive practice with deliberate focus will change any thought pattern; mental, physical and even spiritual.

So far, my success is to identify names, placement and pressure on strings (for callous formation) on command for the first six chords. I love the way my fingers jump in place just by my thinking of changing to the next named chord. Action works best without thought sometimes. The simplicity of using capo without learning more and more chords is next to brilliant. I’m playing chords now that used to keep me from playing some popular 60’s and 70’s songs because of poor transition on my part. Too lazy I was then!! LOL

I like the amount of exercise-variety Jonathan’s course provides. Working on strumming now, and then I will begin the second set of six chords employing the same methods I used to master the first six. This is really fun and well worth whatever I’m paying. I forget what I’m paying but just knowing I’m part of a community of like-minded persons provides all that I need for now.  :>)

Tom

P.S. I surveyed a number of online guitar classes. This one is faith-based…enough said!

April 6, 2020 at 11:24 pm #5177
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey Tom, Sounds like with all your life experience, this will be your time to master the guitar.

For finger stretching, they will get more flexible with regular, persistent practice over time.

Best of luck!!

–Jonathan

You never fail until you quit!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.