• November 6, 2021 at 12:24 am #6345
    John
    Participant

Playing guitar has been on my bucket list for years, but I’ve struggled to get past the start. This COVID pandemic has taught me that you might not have forever to get to your bucket list, so here I am. Starting guitar for me is like trying to get a Merry-Go-Round started that is loaded with kids! It’s not easy at the start, but once you get it spinning for a bit it gets easier. It is starting to get easier with Jonathon’s course and overall approach. I’m having a blast! Below is the list of goals I’ve set for those interested in knowing.

Short term goals:

• Complete Jonathon’s guitar course and feel confident about the newly learned strumming patterns and knowledge.
    • Songs I’d like to play all the way through by Jan 2022 (I’ve been working on these for 1 month now): Peace by Josh Baldwin, Perfect by Ed Sheeran, It’s Always Been You by Phil Wickham, How Can It Be by Lauren Daigle, Over The Rainbow by Harold Arlen & Yip Harburg (my Dad’s favorite)
    • Learn and play at least 3 Christmas songs that my daughter will select
    • Play the song ‘Perfect’ while my daughter sings
    • Learn ‘What a Wonderful World’ by Louis Armstrong (strumming first)
    • Play at least once with some friends from Church over the Christmas break

Stretch goal:

• Amazing Grace by John Newton @90 BPM + Singing (singing is my weakness!)

Long term goals:

• What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong (picking)
    • Learn 1-2 new songs per month (picking and more difficult songs)
    • Teach my 9-year-old daughter to play guitar. She is currently learning piano using the Simply Piano App and wants to learn guitar.

Weaknesses on Guitar:

• I’ve never been able to sing and play the guitar, but I’m encouraged by some of Jonathan’s suggestions in this area that I will definitely try.
    • Sometimes I hit the wrong 1st note on Folk pattern, but feel like I’m improving with practice.
    • Still working on endurance, but it is trending in a good direction

John
    Washington State (USA)

November 6, 2021 at 1:59 am #6346
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hey John, great to have you here. I’m glad to hear you’ve been encouraged by the course. It sounds like you have some great goals to keep you motivated for the long run, which is a must! Keep us posted with your progress!

You never fail until you quit!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.