• September 3, 2018 at 9:45 pm #4154
    Shawna
    Participant

Hey everyone, my name is Shawna  and I signed up for the guitar course just a few hours before Jonathan closed the class back in July.   I had an incredibly busy summer with unexpected events happening and so have been unable to delve into the course until recently.  I’m really excited to work through the lessons and looking forward to being a part of this community.  I use to play the guitar several years ago but didn’t really have very many lessons, mainly playing worship songs we sang in church.  But then I stopped playing for the past 20+ years only picking up the guitar a handful of times.  I was inspired to begin playing again when my husband told me about Simplified Guitar. I started strumming along to some hymns and played at the nursing  home where I worked.  The residents don’t  mind that  I’m not a polished player, they just loved singing the old hymns.  I want to learn to play better so I can grow in my ability to lead sing alongs, lead worship in a small group at church, and play for my own personal time of worship.

Blessings to you all in your journey,

Shawna

Colorado

September 4, 2018 at 8:52 am #4158
    Jonathan
    Keymaster

Hello Shawna, I’m glad to have you on board, and great to see you here in the forums!

Playing in nursing homes is such a great place to get started playing for others. As you said, they don’t have high expectations, and aren’t very judgmental, and so it takes some of the nervousness away. And you get to experience the great joy it brings you to delight others with music. It’s a special thing. It brings people together like nothing else can.

I wish you the best as you go through the course and make sure to let us know if you have any questions or run into any struggles along the way.

You never fail until you quit!

September 13, 2018 at 12:27 pm #4178
    Cheryl Davidson
    Participant

Hello Ms. Shawna!

Welcome to the crew and highest hopes that you enjoy renewing your interests in music.

I think your sharing with people in nursing homes is a testament to your dedication to service to others.  I would bet when you are playing the people’s faces display emotions from memories of times when that personal sharing of music was exciting and full of fellowship was all they had.  The people I know in my area here in Appalachia, modern synthetic and amplified sounds are not attractive to them.  The homemade music does.   You have a big heart and it shows even through this media.  Bless you.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Col 3:16

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.